The Philippine Government requires foreign nationals who wish to work in the country to have an Alien Employment Permit (AEP). This permit is necessary to get a work visa, and applies to all foreigners who are currently in the Philippines or who wish to enter the country. To obtain this permit, it is necessary to have a work offer from a company based in the Philippines.
However, as of September 28, 2015, order 146-15 was issued which establishes that some professionals are exempt from this requirement as it pertains to the processing of their work visas.
Professionals who are now exempt from the documentation requirements and AEP process are:
- Officials of the company, specifically the president, secretary and treasurer of a Philippine company, as long as they do not perform management or operational roles in the company.
- Foreigners elected as members of a governing body who only have voting rights and do not hold other positions.
- Managers, specialists and executives who are transferred to the Philippines in conformity with commercial agreements between the Philippines and the workers´ country of origin.
- Consultants without a Philippine employer.
- Employees of contracted service providers.
In addition, results of the order will affect processing time for the AEP, which will be increased to a minimum of 33 days, and requirements to apply for it will also increase.
More information can be found on the website DOLE